Thursday 18 March 2010

I am loving...

... my Nan's recipe book. She would write down recipes she came across in a book for later reference, and I am currently borrowing it from my Mum. Nan died 22 years ago this May. There are things in there that remind me of my childhood, and it brings great pleasure introducing such delights as coconut/cherry slices to my children. My Nan would be so proud of the comments the children have been giving her. Not only is it nourishing (if a little sweet at times ;) )but it is connecting them with their past, with a lovely woman they never met, but who would have adored them all.
I love the fact it is all hand-written, all in lbs and ounces, and alot of it so simple to do. I hope over the next few weeks to share some of them with you. They are not necessarily healthy, but they are certainly, for me, so comforting and part of my heritage.

Todays offering is Laidlers Nutty Biscuits.


4 oz Margarine
3oz Sugar
1 tbsp Syrup
4 oz Self Raising Flour
4 oz oats
2oz coconut
1oz sunflower seeds
1oz sesame seeds
Melt margarine, sugar, and syrup in a pan
Add other ingredients and mix well
Shape into 24 small balls
Place on a greased baking tray
Bake at 170 C (gas3) for 15-20 minutes

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful. I have my Gran's books too - all handwritten in fountain pen, so some are a bit smudged Great recipes, but, as you say - not the most healthy. xx

    ReplyDelete

Pull up a chair, have a cuppa and some cake, and if you feel like it, leave a comment.
xx