Saturday 23 April 2011

The moneyless man

I ordered this book from the library before Christmas, but it only just came in. I picked it up last Friday, and finished by this Thursday, that is really good going for me, and is a sure sign of a great book.

Basically, the author spent a year without spending money, living a life based on barter, working for food, and repurposing things, and bin-diving. It has given me some great food for thought, but not sure how that could all fit in with children in tow. He was a single man doing this project.

But the crux of it all was how community is vital, and I love the ideas of freeskilling, freeconomy, and love the idea of giving with no thought of receiving anything, but believing that when you most need something it will be made available to you. This has been my belief for a long time, but hasn't been at the forefront of my mind recently.

If you haven't read the book, I urge you to. A real inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pull up a chair, have a cuppa and some cake, and if you feel like it, leave a comment.
xx