... feeding homegrown blackcurrants in the form of a cooling sorbet your daughter who is fighting off a cold and sore throat.
I cannot recommend this recipe enough. It is courtesy of the blackcurrant foundation, and is just fantastic for fighting off those summer colds (never lasts long enough to fight off winter colds!) It is packed with vitamin c, and is delicious. So if you have a glut of blackcurrants, or if you can get your hands on a load, give it a go.
4 cups blackcurrants
2 tablespoons Orange juice (juice of approx. 1 orange)
1 cup sugar
1.25 cups water
1. Heat the water until boiling and dissolve sugar. Keep on low heat for two minutes, then remove and leave to cool.
2. Use a blender or food processor to puree the blackcurrants. Sieve the puree to remove pips to leave a smooth mixture.
3. Mix puree with orange juice, then with sugar solution to form a smooth mixture.
4. Place mixture in lidded container in freezer for 2-3 hours.
5. Remove from freezer and beat again or if available use a handheld blender.
6. Return to freezer until set. Serve in scoops.